COVID-19 Advice

National Updates 

Covid-19 Measures

Shetland remains under Level 3 coronavirus restrictions. These measures will remain in place till at least the end of February.

You can read more on the Level rules here:

Read More


What to do if you have symptoms

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are:

  • new and continuous cough
  • fever/high temperature (37.8C or greater)
  • loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste (anosmia)

If you’ve developed symptoms you need to self-isolate for 10 days from the start of your symptoms and arrange to be tested even if you think your symptoms are mild.

To book a test, Shetlanders need to complete the self-referral form here. If you can’t access the online form ring 01595 532030 between 09.00 and 12.30 and 14:00 – 17:00 Monday – Friday.

Residents of non-doctor islands should contact their local clinician.

Full information from NHS Shetland is available here.

If you live with other people they'll need to stay at home for 14 days from the start of your symptoms even if they don’t have symptoms themselves.

If you have symptoms that are causing serious concern call NHS 24 on 111 or dial 999 in an emergency.

If you require more information visit or call the special helpline on 0800 028 2816. If you need a sick note due to coronavirus, you can get this from the NHS Inform website.


COVID Protection Levels

The Scottish Government has introduced a Strategic Framework for dealing with coronavirus.

The framework will apply from 6am on Monday 2nd November 2020.

The framework has five levels of restrictions that will apply in local authority areas depending on coronavirus risk.

Levels 0 and 1 are to be the closest we can get to normality, without a vaccine or effective treatment in place.

Levels 2 and 3 are for increased incidence of the virus, with multiple clusters and increased community transmission. Measures would be in place focusing on household mixing and would be intended to be in place for relatively short periods to get the virus under control.

Level 4 is for very high or rapidly increasing incidence of the virus where there is a threat to NHS being able to cope. Measures would be close to a full lockdown and designed to be in place for a short period to quickly suppress the virus.

Each local authority has been placed in a level and levels will be reviewed weekly.

You can read more about the Level measures here: 

You can read the Strategic Framework here:


Employment and Social Security

Statutory Sick Pay

You can get £94.25 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. If you are staying at home because of COVID-19 you can now claim SSP. This includes individuals who are caring for people in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine. To check your sick pay entitlement, you should talk to your employer, and visit the Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) page for more information.

Proof of sickness

If you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can get an ‘isolation note’ by visiting NHS online. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.

Recently unemployed

If you have recently become unemployed, you can find information on how to claim support here:


The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) will support self-employed individuals (including members of partnerships) whose income has been negatively impacted by coronavirus. The scheme will provide a grant to self-employed individuals or partnerships, worth 80% of their profits up to a cap of £2,500 per month.

HMRC has now contacted customers believed to be eligible for SEISS, based on their existing information. If you have not been contacted by HMRC and believe you may be eligible for SEISS, you can check here if you can make a claim.

You can also apply for Universal Credit.


Personal Finance

If you need advice on your personal finances you can contact:

Shetland Citizen’s Advice Bureau: call 01595 694696 or email [email protected] and a local adviser will get back to you as soon as possible.

The Money Advice Service: or 0800 138 7777


Updated 26 February 2021.


Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email.